Dr. Tony Cappello is a Managing Health Scientist at Cardno ChemRisk with over 16 years of experience in a variety of scientific and leadership roles. Most recently, he served as the Director of Disease Control and Public Health Response for the State of Colorado and was the Executive Director of the Northeast Colorado Health Department. In 2014, Dr. Cappello was appointed by the Governor of Colorado to the State Board of Health where he served as Board President from 2015 to 2017.
As a public health epidemiologist, Dr. Cappello has a professional interest and experience in applying epidemiological concepts, methods and data to understand and respond to human health risks from environmental and communicable disease exposures. He is an expert in environmental health and disease control/outbreak response and also has expertise in applying epidemiological principles and methods to inform science-based decision making in health policy and community health assessment and planning.
- PhD, Public Health Epidemiology, Walden University, 2012
- BS, Environmental Health, Colorado State University, 2004
- National Environmental Health Association (NEHA), 2006 – Present
- American Public Health Association (APHA), 2008 – Present
- Executive Certificate in Business Administration, University of Notre Dame, 2017
- Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) (#90020940) by the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA), 2006
Most Recent Awards/Professional Honors
- Presidential Alumni Research Dissemination Award, Walden University, 2014
- APHA’s 141st Annual Conference recognition as a top research and news worthy study, American Public Health Association (APHA), 2013
- Best graduate level research and oral presentation award at the 28th Annual Epidemiologic Research Exchange, University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus, 2011