Dr. Boles is a Senior Health Scientist with Cardno ChemRisk. He completed his Ph.D. in Occupational and Environmental Health with an emphasis in Industrial Hygiene from The University of Iowa College of Public Health. His principal areas of expertise include industrial hygiene, bioaerosol and microbial exposure, occupational safety, and exposure and risk assessments. Dr. Boles has provided on-site industrial hygiene support, performed risk assessments for chemical, particulate, and microbial exposures, occupational safety support, and guidance on risk management programs and communications to clients across a wide range of industries. In addition, he has managed litigation support for cases related to occupational and environmental exposure to asbestos, talc, respirable coal dust, silica participates, and oil cleanup. Dr. Boles has provided occupational health and safety support, including COVID-19 support, to TV, film, and media production companies working in the U.S., Canada, and the European Union.
Dr. Boles’ academic research focused on developing, evaluating and implementing exposure assessment techniques for occupational and environmental exposure to bioaerosols. Completed projects used newly developed quantification technologies to increase level of detections across multiple biological targets. Dr. Boles also optimized sampling methodologies for the collection of human norovirus, general bacteria, and influenza A. Occupational areas where Dr. Boles performed research include healthcare settings, swine facilities, poultry facilities, microbiology laboratories, and public river samples.
Dr. Boles currently co-lead the for the Cardno ChemRisk TV, Film, and Media Initiative. Dr. Boles is a member of the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) and is currently a member of the Biosafety and Environmental Microbiology Committee. He is also a member of the AIHA COVID-19 Task Force assisting the development of Back to Work Safely (BTWS) guidance documents released by AIHA.
- Ph.D., Occupational and Environmental Health, The University of Iowa, 2019
- B.S., Biology, East Carolina University, 2013
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) - Full Member, 2015 - present; Biosafety and Environmental Microbiology Committee, 2018 - present
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, 2015 - present
- International Society of Exposure Science, 2017 - present
Most Recent Awards/Professional Honors
- First Place in Biomedical Sciences for Poster Presentation by Research Creativity Achievement Week at East Carolina University. 2012
- AIHF Scholarship Recipient by the American Industrial Hygiene Foundation. 2016
- Clyde M. Berry Scholarship Recipient by the American Industrial Hygiene Foundation. 2017
- Best Student Poster by the Aerosol Technology Committee, the American Industrial Hygiene Association. 2019
- H. Kenneth Dillon Best Student Poster Award by the Biosafety and Environmental Microbiology Committee, the American Industrial Hygiene Association. 2019