Dr. Amanda Buerger is a Senior Health Scientist with Cardno ChemRisk in Cincinnati, Ohio and has professional experience in toxicology, human health risk assessment, and litigation support. As a consultant, she has provided toxicology and risk assessment support to clients in various industries, including chemical manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, universities, and producers of various consumer products including electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS). Through her work with these clients, she has compiled data, analyzed toxicity outcomes, applied weight of evidence approaches, and contributed to the production of numerous products for clients, including Food and Drug Administration (FDA) submissions, occupational exposure limit (OEL) and banding documents, risk assessment courses, and other technical reports. Dr. Buerger has studied the health effects of exposure to a wide range of industrial chemicals (e.g., asbestos, talc), environmental contaminants (e.g., sulfuric compounds, pesticides), and consumer products (e.g., ENDS, pharmaceuticals). Dr. Buerger is a co-leader of the microbial risk assessment initiative, and is also involved in efforts related to the TV, film, and media industry, food safety, and regulatory toxicology.
Dr. Buerger earned her bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences from the University of Notre Dame (ND) in 2015, and received her PhD in Environmental Health from the University of Florida (UF) in 2019. During her academic training, Dr. Buerger participated in ecological research, including the evaluation of the invasive potential of plant and fish species. Her dissertation research focused on the obesogenic potential of diethylhexyl phthalate (DEHP) exposure in zebrafish, in which she utilized a variety of molecular and behavioral assays.
- PhD, Environmental Health, University of Florida, 2019
- BS, Environmental Sciences, University of Notre Dame, 2015
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) – 2015-present
- SETAC Membership Committee – 2019-present
- North America Student Advisory Council Member, SETAC – 2017-2019
- Society of Toxicology (SOT) – 2017-present
- North America Student Advisory Council Southeast chapter representative, SETAC – 2017-2018
Most Recent Awards/Professional Honors
- Outstanding Student Research Award, University of Florida, Department of Environmental and Global Health, April 2020
- Outstanding Student in Public Health Service Award, University of Florida, Department of Environmental and Global Health, April 2019
- Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Paper of the Year, Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry, 2018